Cafesjian’s Carousel was built in 1914 by Philadelphia Toboggan Company. It is known as PTC 33 because it is the 33rd machine they made. The carousel is 50 feet across at the platform and 54 feet at the upper rim. It weighs 30 tons and is suspended from a center pole.
One of only three operating carousels still in original paint, the carousel has been restored to its 1914 beauty. The carousel is named for the late Gerard L. Cafesjian, who contributed the major share of money needed to rescue it from auction, restore it and build its pavilion in Como Park.